Call for Scores
The second annual University of Vermont Festival of New Music (UVM-FNM) seeks instrumental chamber works from composers of any age or nationality for performance consideration on the 2020 festival, to be held March 28-29 on the UVM campus in Burlington, Vermont. One prizewinning composer will receive travel costs up to $400 and lodging for the festival, with the winning work performed at the University of Vermont during the festival.
This year we are excited to be partnering with the Boston-based new music ensemble Juventas, who will be performing the winning piece.
Complete rules and information
- The competition is open to composers of all ages and nationalities, except that composers with a UVM affiliation are not eligible.
- There is no fee.
- One entry per composer.
- The winning piece will be performed during the weekend of March 28-29 at the University of Vermont, and a concert recording made.
- The winning composer is required to attend the concert and is encouraged to attend the full 2-day festival. UVM-FNM will reimburse travel costs up to $400 and will provide lodging.
- Works must be between 3-15 minutes duration.
- Works may be written for 1-4 performers drawn from the following instrumentation:
•clarinet (can double E-flat and bass clarinet)
Only one player on each instrument is available; a piece for two clarinets, for example, will not be considered.
- Fully electronic pieces, with no live acoustic component, will not be considered. For electro-acoustic works, the composer is responsible for any live electronic processing.
- To submit works for the call, please fill out the submission form, then send your score and recording (MIDI acceptable) in a single email to UVM.FNM@gmail.com.
- Scores must be in PDF format and can include the composer’s name. Recordings must be in mp3 format. Submissions that do not conform to all stated criteria will not be considered.
- The deadline for submission of all materials is Sunday, December 1, 2019, at noon.
- The selection panel will consist of three composers drawn from the University of Vermont faculty and past winners of this Call. Decisions of the jury are final.
- All entrants will be notified of the results via email, and the results posted online, no later than January 15.
- Please direct any questions to UVM.FNM@gmail.com.